Are you ready for this?
A true artisan bread recipe you can make at home, easy and no brick oven required!
Friends I am a happy lady today . . . .
I have bought every artisan bread book you can imagine, clipped every magazine recipe that looked half way decent and baked many, many, many loaves of bread. I have spritzed water in the oven to create steam and researched tiles I could add to my household oven that would mock the restaurant style ovens that produce that amazing bread that is to die for.
The crusty, crunchy exterior crust that you would rather break open than slice, that has the soft almost chewy interior just perfect for dipping in balsamic vinegar and olive oil. The sort of bread you add olives and parmesan to or garlic and grilled onions and even a sprinkle of pepper. The next time I will try rosemary and garlic . . . mmmm.
While we are on the subject, I did love a book called The Bread Baker’s Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread that has some amazing recipes and techniques.
Friends, you are not going to believe how easy this recipe is and how close it really comes to the perfect artisan bread right from your very own oven! I think the key is the slow rise, the very hot oven and using the casserole dish. I personally used my stoneware baker from the popular MLM marketing kitchenware company that starts with a P and does home parties 😉
Make a bunch and throw it in the freezer and look like a kitchen diva next time you have a dinner party or Uncle Johnny and his fancy wife drop over for a quick visit!
I won’t keep you in suspense any longer! Here goes . . .
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon yeast
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ warm water
- Add flour to mixing bowl and stir to fluff the flour
- Add yeast and salt to the flour
- Add warm water and stir to combine
- The dough will be very wet and sticky
- Cover and let rise for 12 to 24 hours
- Scrape dough out of bowl onto a well floured surface
- Use the back of a wooden spoon to flatten the dough
- Add your favorite ingredients such as:
- onions, olives, cheese, garlic, rosemary, black pepper or whatever sounds good to you
- Roll your flavor ingredients in to mix thoroughly
- Place rounded loaf on a piece of lightly floured parchment paper
- Let rise about 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 450
- Put a covered casserole dish in oven to heat
- Once the oven is hot, place loaf into the hot casserole dish and cover
- Bake for 30 minutes then uncover and let brown for 5-10 minutes longer until the crust is golden brown
I hope you love it as much I do! Leave me a comment below and let me know what you think and what sort of yummy additions you come up with!