Around 20 years ago I worked for a small town gourmet bakery in my hometown. I felt like Little Red Riding Hood as I walked from business to business with a basket full of freshly baked muffins and scones. The scones were fabulous! Melt in your mouth, to die for yummy . . . but that is not what everyone always asked for. My clients would buy a scone just to get the little plastic cup of luscious lemon spread! Sweet, buttery, tangy perfection that left you longing for more.
I made a batch of this yesterday and it is just about gone today . . . my kids love it!
Luscious Lemon Spread is a nice flavor for summer, and pairs nicely with scones, crackers, in frosting, on ice cream, blueberry muffins or angel food cake.
I think you will find it is actually quite simple to make as long as you temper the eggs in as to not end up with scrambled eggs! Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 1 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- zest of 3 lemons
- 10 egg yolks
- Add ½ cup butter, ½ sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice to a wide saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- In another bowl, separate 10 egg yolks and combine with the remaining ½ cup sugar.
- Slowly temper the boiling lemon juice mixture into the egg yolks, by adding the hot lemon mixture to the egg yolks while whisking continuously.
- When fully combined, return the mixture to the saucepan and cook on medium to low heat until thickened.
- Whisk in the remaining ½ cup butter cubes until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and strain into a shallow dish. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the curd and let set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week.