This is a recipe that is close to my heart.
Mom made these yummy breakfast treats for us and we always enjoyed the sweet jelly melting into the warm bread. Mmmm.
The thing that is closest to my memory, is the drizzle!
I’m a morning person, so I often would watch Mom whip up her drizzle, without a recipe in sight, and lovinly pour it over the warm bliss of a biscuit right out of the oven. Mmmm.
So, today I made them for my kids! What did they think?
Of course! Just as you might have suspected . . . they loved them!
(Sorry Mom, I did have to put my “spin” on them . . . I added the cream cheese part.)
Because it’s the holiday season and I’m feeling like sharing, I’ll give you the opportunity to make these for your kiddos too!
Kid tested and APPROVED! A blast from my past . . . (drum roll please)
Cherry Cheese Breakfast Biscuits (or whatever jelly you have on hand for that matter! I’m all for making due and making it work. *wink*)
Mix up the dough, form little balls and flatten out on a baking sheet. Make a “well” in the center . . .
Ahhh . . . they smell divine
Digg in! They won’t last long
Here’s the secret recipe. Shhh. Don’t share it with too many people.
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup confectioner sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Using a pastry blender, (or your fingers like me) cut in the butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk and mix using a wooden spoon or fork just until it all comes together.
- Using your hands or a large spoon gather about 2 Tablespoon size of dough and roughly gather it into a ball. Flatten the ball of dough and place it on a cookie sheet or baking pan. Once the dough is on the baking pan, make a small indent or "well" in the center.
- Blend the cream cheese and ¼ cup of sugar until smooth.
- Using a small spoon, spoon a dolop of cream cheese mixture into the "well" you made in the biscuits.
- Next, add a small dolop of jelly on top of the cream cheese.
- Place in oven and bake until lightly browned around the edges, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare drizzle, by mixing confectoner sugar, vanilla and milk with whisk. Mix well until all the sugar is disolved.
- Remove from the oven and place biscuits on a wire cooling rack.
- Drizzle with icing and serve.
- Sit back enjoy and listen for all the "oooo's" and "ahhhh's"